Tuesday, January 10, 2017

One Hidden Rogue Figures in La La Land



A few years ago, I reviewed the movies The Help, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I liked the Planet of the Apes movie more. It turned out that my opinion was not the popular one. So, with that in mind, it's time to don my critic hat and review 3 more movies. Rogue One, La La Land, and Hidden Figures.

Rogue One
I slept through most of it. I woke up near the end, Cassian is holding Jyn in his arms on the beach and I think oh good, they're togeth--OH MY GOD! (spoiler)* I enjoyed the Snarky Android. It was basically a war movie. And it’s number one at the box office, so obviously I'm not it's target audience.

La La Land
Now, this movie...I'm definitely the audience they want to target. A musical with jazz and appealing actors? Yes please! Did they deliver? Yes Indeedee! Did I LOVE it? Uhhhhhh….no**, but I’m still thinking about the movie and I really like movies that make me think.   
I don’t need to go into detail regarding the main actors excellent work; I’m sure the professional reviewers (note: I did not read the reviews) can describe their work with the eloquence that I lack.

I am fairly sure (and most appreciative) that the actor actually played the music (or at least most of it); because when they showed a close up of the piano, the notes I saw being being played were the same notes I heard.***.  Yes, it was charming...but I don't have a song in my head like I do with most musica – oh wait – 🎵City of Stars🎵 ….but that’s all I can remember.  Maybe I’m not suppose to remember it, being Jazz and improv and all.  

Moving right along, I HATED the ending.  They should have  - nope. Changed my  mind. The ending was not a musical ending, but it was definitely a more realistic ending.  

Oh! I know! I do think it was too long. I thought that the numbers could be shorter.

Fine. Clearly this is a living review, and I will add more as I think of it. In fact, add your thoughts to the comments and I'll put them here.  
 
Hidden Figures
Based on a true story; I loved this movie. It wasn't as gut wrenching as The Help, but they made it clear what the three protagonist women were up against in circa-1961-still-segragated Virginia. The suspense was the best though. For example, I was already spoiled for John Glenn’s orbit around the earth;**** and yet during that scene, I was on pins and needles! This movie took me on a "All feelings" ride, I participated fully (laughed, cried). I highly recommend this movie!












 *Everybody dies
**It won the most Golden Globes awards!  What is wrong with me?!  
**Mozart in Love shows the orchestra faking BADLY  it and it bugs me. 
***He did it! Check your history books!

1 comment:

Join The Discussion...